Brno City Theatre (Městské divadlo Brno)Popular
Theaters / Posted 1 year ago / 598 views
Already in the period of the “First Republic”, there were tendencies to create the second drama theatre in Brno, however it was only after the War, at the end of May 1945, when a group of young dramatic artists, was successful in obtaining a license for the operation of the second drama theatre.
The conditions were quite harsh: it was not necessary just to prove economic self-sufficiency, but also artistic viability in a test period of three months (June – September).
Nowadays, nobody would go the theatre on hot summer days.
But in the after-war period, the “cultural fast” had been long and so there was nothing to discourage the spectators.
The theatre group began to play in the Falkensteiner Street (today’s Gorkého Street) using a name of Free Theatre, and in the test period, five new plays were staged.
A group of young enthusiasts seemed to win popularity and till the end of the season (June 1946) it produced 15 new plays.
Twenty first-night performances, it was a respectable efficiency.
However, at that time new “reforms” were “knocking on the door”.
The theatre (as well as others) was forced not only to change the artistic concept but also to change its name – City and District Theatre, Regional District Theatre, which implied that the theatre was obliged to care for the export of theatre culture to Moravian and Bohemian regions.
Since the very beginning until the present days, the theatre has put up 600 new plays, and in the year of its anniversary in 2005, when the theatre will be 60 years old repeat performances difficult to count.