Rental fraud scheme revealed in Brno
Brno police report a series of on-line rental frauds.
Brno, Sep 30 (BD) – In an official statement, Brno police urge citizens to be alert after 30 cases of rental frauds in the city.
The scammer advertised two apartments on Křídlovická and Jiráskova streets for only a half of the usual market price on the Internet.
The fraudsters, who identified as a citizen of a Nordic country, deceived people who were looking to rent apartments in Brno. They communicated with the victims using an email address in format “email@example.com”, Brno police report.
The fraudsters explain to the victims that the house was available because “I bought the place for my son who has recently moved to the US,” police clarify.
The scammers ensure the victims that a known real estate agency would handle the contract. The tenants have to transfer the money equivalent to 3 months of rent – between 900 and 1.300 euros – to accounts at various foreign banks in advance.
In total, thirty people were caught in the fraudulent house ad scheme. The financial loss has reached 600.000 CZK. The identity of the scammers remain unknown.
According to the statistics, house renting frauds are more common in the online ads than in other media.
Before looking for vacation or long-term accommodation, we recommend:
· Be especially careful with the cheapest offers and don’t get tricked by nice photos of the property.
· Beware of owners who promise to meet the agency brokers and can’t meet face to face.
· Do not pay with cash or transfer money upfront without signing any contract.
· Don’t believe sob stories in order to get more money from you.
· Use trustworthy local agents and confirm the legitimacy of the documents.
· In case of a holiday house, read beforehand the reviews from previous users.